uPVC windows from OWD Group are crafted to effortlessly blend aesthetic finesse, energy efficiency, and enduring performance. While they are designed for low maintenance, a bit of care under the umbrella of uPVC window maintenance can go a long way in preserving their appearance and functionality. This guide provides insightful tips and recommendations to help you keep your OWD uPVC windows looking and performing well for years.
- Soft cloth or sponge
- Mild soap
- Warm water
- Vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment
- Multipurpose oil
- Dedicated window cleaner spray (for glass only)
- Vinegar (for stubborn stains and mould removal)
Routine Cleaning: Dos and Don’ts
- Interior: Begin by opening the window to access hard-to-reach areas. Utilise a vacuum to remove dust build-up around hinges, followed by brushing the frame corners. Mix mild soap with warm water to wipe down the frame using a soft cloth. Lubricate the hinges with a couple of drops of multi-purpose oil to prevent rusting.
- Exterior: Use a soft cloth to brush off any loose dirt, followed by a hose down for a thorough wash. Wipe down the frame with warm soapy water, ensuring to use a non-abrasive material to avoid scratching the surface.
Use a dedicated window cleaner spray for the glass, wiping it down with kitchen roll or old newspaper for a streak-free finish. Avoid using any solvent-based cleaning solutions.
Tackling Stubborn Stains Safely
uPVC Window Sills:
For regular cleaning, a hot water soap solution is adequate. For more stubborn stains, a mixture of one cup of vinegar to four cups of water can be effective. Spray the solution, leave it for 10 minutes, then wipe down with a dry cloth.
Apply white vinegar on the mould, leave it for an hour, then scrub away using warm water. Ensure to ventilate the area by opening windows to let the smell out.
Maintaining the Seals and Hardware
Annually lubricate hinges and handles with light machine oil. Wipe clean all metalwork inside the frame to prevent dirt build-up, which could affect the window’s functionality. It’s normal to notice some discolouration of the waterproof mastic seal around your windows over time.
Addressing Persistent Issues
If you encounter persistent issues such as stubborn stains, mould, or discolouration on your uPVC frames despite following the cleaning guidelines, don’t hesitate to contact us at OWD Group. We’re here to provide guidance and can help you find solutions to ensure your windows continue to look and perform at their best. While we don’t offer cleaning services, we can certainly advise on the next steps and recommend trusted professional cleaning services if needed. Our aim is to ensure you enjoy the enduring quality and performance of your OWD uPVC windows.
This guide provides a structured approach to maintaining the aesthetics and functionality of your OWD uPVC windows. By adhering to these simple cleaning practices, you can enjoy the benefits of your uPVC windows for many years to come.